Sunday, August 31, 2008

Back to the real world

So, now the holiday is over and i'm back to the real world of things to do, people to see and work that has an ever approaching deadline.

But i don't care about any of that shit - i'm just gonna have a quick rant about things.

First, and the MOST annoying thing in the world:
- If you quote a price on a product and/or service, INCLUDE TAX IN THAT PRICE!!!
When you are not used to it, it is very annoying to pick up a product that is quoted as, say $7.50, yet you are charged $8.30 for it.
Just include the tax in the quoted price, it's not hard, it's not difficult and you won't piss off confused little britishers trying to buy things.

Second, why are we, as western societies, so unimpressed by planes and air travel?
- Think: We are only the third generation of humans, ever, that can so convincingly give the middle finger to gravity and soar, thousands of feet in the air. Think of the miracle of air travel, how we can watch films, get given food and alcohol and sit in a fairly comfortable chair as we are propelled through the air by huge turbines.
How small the world is, now we can do that?
Air travel is easily one of the greatest things humans have ever done, we should respect it more and not take it for granted.

Third,
- It would be nice it i could take one, just one, walk through the departure duty-free section (the place with all the shops and food places, before you board the plane, you know the one) of Heathrow airport without being attacked by people peddling cologne, perfume or some other overpriced eye-watering stink in a fancy bottle.
Here's the honest truth: All colognes and perfumes divide neatly into 2 separate smells - Rent boy or hooker. (Of course, there's a third section - it contains the perfume or cologne you sometimes wear :) )

Well, thus ends the quick rant.

6 comments:

Lee said...

First, and the MOST annoying thing in the world:
- If you quote a price on a product and/or service, INCLUDE TAX IN THAT PRICE!!!
When you are not used to it, it is very annoying to pick up a product that is quoted as, say $7.50, yet you are charged $8.30 for it.


Have you just been to the US by any chance?

I agree it is bad but the thing that really gets me is when the shop tries to hit you with a ‘service charge’ to use your credit card or bank card.

Sorry, they are the business of selling goods, they have costs and overheads I know, but this should be included in the price. I mean, I should not be hit later with a hidden charge just for trying to buy the bloody thing. This particular pisses me off for telephone and internet companies – it is not as if I can give them cash over the phone.

AND don’t get me started talking about ticket companies when they hit you with a ‘booking fee’.

If I buy I pair of shoes, I don’t expect the shop keeper to say, well you bought some shoes from me, so I have to hit you with a ‘shoe purchasing fee’

Grr

Second, why are we, as western societies, so unimpressed by planes and air travel?

Yeah... people get bored very quickly and forget the amazing stuff that is going on.

Third,
- It would be nice it i could take one, just one, walk through the departure duty-free section... without being attacked by people peddling cologne, perfume or some other overpriced eye-watering stink in a fancy bottle.


I remember liking the free samples of whiskey once... that was nice.

Well, thus ends the quick rant.

Like it – gave me a chance to have a rant as well.

Hope you didn't mind

Lee

Apathy Personified said...

Ha,
No worries, ranting is always good. I did everything in cash, seemed easier, also when you use your card, don't you get royally done on the exchange rate when they send you the credit card bill? (just to further your feeling of injustice :) )

I was actually in Canada. I did learn something though, according to a t-shirt in a tourist gift shop, Canadians are just unarmed Americans with health care. (I'm only going on what the t-shirt said, not my opinion - whew! that absolves me of any guilt over that comment)

Lee said...

No worries, ranting is always good.

I felt better for it thanks :)

I did everything in cash, seemed easier, also when you use your card, don't you get royally done on the exchange rate when they send you the credit card bill? (just to further your feeling of injustice :) )

Not sure it is any worse than going down to the post office and getting your nice local currency changed to that ‘funny muck’.

I’ve always found the exchange rate on credit cards to be rather good – it just changes everyday – just don’t get cash on your credit card whatever you do.

I was actually in Canada.

Oh, well there tax system seems rather similar to my experience in San Francisco – my mistake.

Never been to Canada – nice is it?

I did learn something though, according to a t-shirt in a tourist gift shop, Canadians are just unarmed Americans with health care.

I like that – it must be true if they write it on a T-shirt.

Lee

Apathy Personified said...

Lee,
Canada is very nice, definately worth a visit - Vancouver, Toronto - they're all good.

I like that – it must be true if they write it on a T-shirt.
Yes, everything i know - that's worth knowing - i learnt from t-shirts.

Sharon said...

Apathy - you came to Canada and didn't ring me? Very disappointed. I shall definitely not ring you back when I am in the UK this October. :)

I'm glad you liked it anyhow. I prefer Van over TO, but only because the scenery is so amazing on the West Coast.

I liked this little rant. I have also been struck by how blase people are on planes now. I am always excited by flying and try to get a window seat whenever I can so I can look out and marvel at the earth from on high.

I'm quite used to the tax now, and I've never been accosted by the perfume whores in an airport, but I avoid them like the plague when walking through the mall.

Apathy Personified said...

Hey Sharon,
Ha - I tried to call, honest :)

I love Canada and I'd have to agree about the scenery around Vancouver, it's absolutely stunning - in fact, the whole northern Pacific coast area is pretty amazing.

With the tax, i'm sure i could get used to it and the example i gave wasn't particularly good - you can just handover a $10 bill. It's when the quoted price is less that $10, but the price at the till is more than $10 - So i've already got a $10 note out, but now i need to dig around into the depths of my pockets to find a few quarters - As with all petty rants, it doesn't sound like such a big deal now i've put it in writing :)